700-707 Transportation of Nonpublic School Students
HIBBING PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 701
BOARD POLICY 707
SERIES: 700 Non-Instructional Operations and Business Services
SUBJECT: 707 Transportation of Nonpublic School Students
1. The school district shall provide equal transportation within the school district for all students to any school when transportation is deemed necessary by the school district because of distance or traffic condition in like manner and form as provided in Minnesota statutes.
2. Upon the request of a parent or guardian, the school district shall provide school bus transportation to the school district boundary for students residing in the school district at least the same distance from a nonpublic school actually attended in another school district as public school students are transported in the transporting school district. Such transportation shall be provided whether or not there is another nonpublic school within the transporting school district, if the transportation is to school maintaining grades or departments not maintained in the school district or if the attendance of such students at school can more safely, economically, or conveniently be provided for by such means.
3. The school district may provide school bus transportation to a nonpublic school in another school district for students residing in the school district and attending that school, whether or not there is another nonpublic school within the transporting school district, if the transportation is to schools maintaining grades or departments not maintained in the school district or if the attendance of such students at school can more safely, economically, or conveniently be provided for by such means. If the school district transports students to a nonpublic school located in another school district, the nonpublic school shall pay the cost of such transportation provided outside the school district boundaries.
4. The school district shall provide the necessary transportation within school district boundaries between the nonpublic school and a public school or neutral site for nonpublic school students who are provided pupil support services, if the school district elects to provide pupil support services at a site other than a nonpublic school.
5. When transportation is provided, the scheduling of routes, manner, and method of transportation, control, and discipline of students and any other matter relating thereto shall be within the sole discretion, control, and management of the school district.
6. Additional transportation to and from a nonpublic school may be provided at the expense of the school district where such services are provided in the discretion of the school district.
7. The school district shall not provide transportation for students residing in another school district and attending a nonpublic school within the boundaries of I.S.D. #701.
Special Education/Disabled Students
1. If a resident student with a disability attends a nonpublic school located within the school district, the school district shall provide necessary transportation for the student within the school district between the nonpublic school and the educational facility where special instruction and services are provided on a shared time basis. If a resident student with a disability attends a nonpublic school located in another school district and if no agreement exists for the provision of special instruction and services on a shared time basis to that student by the school district of attendance and where the special instruction and services are provided within the school district, the school district shall provide necessary transportation for that student between the school district boundary and the educational facility. The school district may provide necessary transportation for that student between its boundary and the nonpublic school attended, but the nonpublic school shall pay the cost of transportation provide outside the school district. School districts may make agreements for who provides transportation.
2. Disabled students whose handicapped conditions are such that the student cannot be safely transported on the regular school bus and/or school bus route shall be entitled to special transportation at the expense of the school district. The school district shall determine the type of vehicle used to transport disabled students on the basis of the handicapping condition and applicable laws. This section shall not be applicable to parents who transport their own child under a contract with the school district.
3. Any parent of a disabled student who believes that the transportation services provided for that child are not in compliance with the applicable law may utilize the due process procedures provided for in MN statute.
M.S. 125A.03 (Children with a Disability)
M.S. 123B.88 (Independent School Districts, Transportation)
M.S. 123B.84 (Policy)
M.S. 123B.86 (Equal Treatment)
M.S. 123B.44 (Provision of Pupil Support Services)
Minn. R. 3520.3300 (Transportation of Handicapped Students)